Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Quinoa and Black Beans

This recipe was submitted by Sarah. It's a recipe from her mother's friend.

Ingredients:

1 tsp. olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 c. uncooked quinoa
1 1/2 c. vegetable or chicken broth
1 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. cayenne
salt and pepper to taste
1 c. frozen corn (not canned)
2 cans black beans, rinsed
1/2 c. chopped cilantro

Directions:

Cook onion and garlic in oil until slightly browned. Mix in quinoa and broth. Season with cumin, cayenne, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then simmer 20 minutes. Add corn and beans. Cook 5 more minutes. Stir in cilantro.

Notes about the recipe:
It can be used as a side or as a meatless filling for tacos/burritos...tastes great with guacamole.

1 comment:

Vanessa said...

This is so good! We made burritos with it and loved them!
I don't like my foods too spicy, so I only added half the cumin and cayenne that it called for.
I'm pretty sure you should cover the pan when you let the quinoa simmer.
I also only used half the cilantro because my husband is not a big fan. If it were me, I would put DOUBLE the cilantro!! ;)