Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Peanut SauceTofu Stir Fry


I used a peanut sauce recipe adapted from Food&Wine: Annual Cookbook 2010, and then I improvised the rest.

Ingredients:

For the
Spicy Peanut Sauce
  • 1/4 c. plus 2 Tb. creamy peanut butter
  • 3 Tb. unseasoned rice vinegar (or regular)
  • 1 1/2 Tb. sugar
  • 3 Tb. soy sauce
  • 1/8 c. water
  • 1 tsp. crushed red pepper
  • 1 Tb. fresh ginger root, peeled and coarsely chopped
  • 1/2 clove garlic
Mix it all in a blender. (If you want your veggies to have more of the peanuty flavor then hold out about a 1/2 c. of the sauce.)

For the
stir fry
  • 1 pkg. of firm tofu, 16 oz
  • 1 crown of broccoli, cut into stir fry size pieces
  • 1 or 2 carrots, sliced
(You could also add celery slices, snap peas, mushrooms, scallion slices, water chestnuts, or whatever else you like to eat in stir fries. This time around I added a small can of water chestnuts.)

Directions:

1. Cut the tofu into 1/2 in. or 1 in. slices. Put the slices in a container and pour in the Spicy Peanut Sauce and let marinate for about 30 minutes.
(You don't have to marinate it if you are pressed for time.)

2. Slice the carrots and cut up the broccoli (and any other veggies you plan on using) and set aside in a bowl. (If you want them to have more of the peanut flavor then add the 1/2 c. of peanut sauce to the veggies and stir to get them all coated.)

3. Heat large frying pan or wok. Add the marinated tofu. Cook on medium heat until the tofu starts to get crispy (between 10-20 minutes). Then add the veggies and cook a few minutes longer until veggies are crisp tender (not soggy).

I serve it up with brown rice, and a fruit side.
You can also use this peanut sauce on noodles (about 1/2 lb.) as a side dish for a different meal.

And if anyone can tell me why the last part of my post is smaller than the rest, even though I have resized all of the text to be "normal" size, I would greatly appreciate it!

2 comments:

Ryann Pinnegar said...

This reminds me of Lu's peanut butter tofu! Thanks for posting it! I think I want to try it soon.

Unknown said...

I've made this twice now and Noah gobbles it up. We don't do tofu, but we do broccoli, carrots, cabbage and onions. The first time we had it on brown rice and this time we did whole-grain noodles, and he liked both. It's great to see Noah gobble down his veggies so happily :)