Monday, April 1, 2013

Kichadee


My cousin, Bri P., introduced this recipe to me. She says it is one of her staple foods. It was tasty and hearty. Here is my version.

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups cooked brown rice (about 1 cup uncooked)
  • 2 cups cooked red lentils (about 3/4 c. to 1 c. uncooked)
  • 2-3 c. finely chopped sweet potato
  • 2-3 c. finely chopped kale (if you want it less chewy pull it off the stem first)
  • 2 carrots, peeled and diced
  • 1/4 c. butter or ghee (clarified butter)
  • 1 tsp. cumin seeds
  • 1 tsp. coriander seeds
  • 1 tsp. fennel seeds
  • 1 tsp. cumin powder
  • 1 tsp. coriander powder
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
Directions:
  1.  Get the rice and red lentils cooking in separate pots, according to the directions on their packaging. 
  2. Brown spice seeds in the butter or ghee for a few minutes. Add the powdered spices. Then add all the veggies and stir till combines. Saute with the lid on, occasionally stirring, until veggies are soft and cooked through. 
  3. Combine the cooked rice, cooked lentils, into the veggie mixture. Add salt and lemon juice and mix well. Let sit 10 minutes and then serve.
Notes about this recipe:
  • You can also add fennel powder in with the spices, I just couldn't find it at my grocery store.
  • If you want to try making your own ghee use 1/4 lb butter, unsweetened and unsalted. Heat over medium heat until fat separates on top and bottom. Continue at a gentle boil until a large mid portion is clear (about 20 min.) Strain with superfine mesh into a mason jar.
  • With the spices you can go up to 2 Tb. depending on how spicy/flavorful you want it.

3 comments:

Leah said...

Hi, Karen! Do you think it would still turn out if I just used powder and not seeds? I know coriander seeds are kinda big, and I'm afraid it will make the dish crunchy (and unappetizing for my kiddos). Do they soften up when cooked?

Unknown said...

Hey Leah, I think it would. You may want to increase the powder a tiny bit to compensate. I can't remember if they soften or not...I made it a few weeks ago. I hope you like it!

Leah said...

Great, thanks! I'll let you know how it turns out. And fyi, I found fennel powder in the bulk spices at H-E-B Plus.