Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Sweet Potato Cookies

 

I adapted this from a pumpkin chocolate chip cookie recipe my sister gave me in an attempt to use a left over Thanksgiving sweet potato, and I'm sure glad I did. Moist. Delicious. Enough said.

Ingredients:
  •  1 c. cooked and mashed sweet potato (one small sized one did it for me)
  • 3/4 c. loose brown sugar (not packed)
  • 1/2 c. applesauce
  • 1 egg
  • 1 c. white flour
  • 1 c. wheat flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 heaping tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp milk
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 c. chocolate chips
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Dissolve baking soda in the milk. Set aside.
  2. In a large bowl add sweet potato, sugar, applesauce, and egg. Stir till mixed.
  3. Add flours, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda mixture into the wet mixture. Mix well. Add vanilla. Mix well.
  4. Stir in the chocolate chips.
  5. Spoon onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for about 10 minutes.
Notes about this recipe:

1. I tried adding marshmallows to a few of them during the last 2 minutes of cooking. They were good, but they honestly didn't need them so I did the rest of the cookies without them.
2. If you really want to make them healthy, try adding raisins, craisins, or chopped dates instead of chocolate chips.

1 comment:

Katie said...

These sound great! I will have to give them a try!