Thursday, March 29, 2012

Tofu Spinach Lasagna


(Don't mind the cut down the middle of my piece of lasagna...I was really excited to start eating it and then decided I should probably snap a picture before I forgot.)

I made a post about this amazing lasagna way back in July 2011. Since then I have adapted it, which means now I can post it on the blog without copyright issues. I adapted it from a recipe found in The Vegan Table Cookbook by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau.

Seriously, this lasagna is so good (as in, my hubby and toddler both devoured it). Lactose intolerant friendly, and might I mention, a whole lot cheaper to make than the other meat and cheese types. (Meat and 3 kinds of cheese add up v.s. buying a package of tofu.)

Ingredients:
  • 9 lasagna noodles (about half of a 1 lb pkg), regular or no-boil...either is fine
  • About 9-12 oz. of fresh spinach, chopped, blanched, and drained
  • 1 pkg firm tofu (16 oz)
  • 1 Tb. sugar
  • 1/4 c. rice milk...or any kind of milk really (regular, soy, etc)
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 2 Tb. lemon juice
  • 2 tsp. dried basil (or you can use 2 Tb. fresh, minced basil)
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1-24 oz. jar of spaghetti sauce, I prefer a tomato and basil type but any kind will work
Directions:
  1. Cook lasagna noodles according to package.
  2. Meanwhile, blanch spinach.
  3. Next put the tofu, sugar, rice milk, garlic powder, lemon juice, basil, and salt in a blender and blend until thick and smooth. This is going to be your "tofu ricotta," as the author Colleen Patrick-Goudreau calls it.
  4. Put the "tofu ricotta" and the blanched spinach together in a large bowl and mix together.
  5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees (my oven heats up really fast...so to make it less hot for me in the kitchen I wait until I absolutely have to before turning it on. If it takes your oven a while, then turn it on as step 1 in the directions.)
  6. Now it's lasagna assembly time. Use a 9 by 13 baking dish. Start with a little bit of the spaghetti sauce and cover the bottom of the pan. Then put 3 noodles down, covered with 1/2 the "tofu ricotta." Repeat the layers with about 1/2 of the remaining sauce, 3 more noodles, and the rest of the "tofu ricotta." Last put on 3 more noodles and use the rest of the sauce to cover the noodles up.
  7. Bake for 40 minutes.

3 comments:

Katie said...

I am excited to try this!!! No cheese, no meat, AND easier on the wallet!

Katie said...

Keith and I gave this a try and it is a potential real winner. Next time we will add some sauteed mushrooms (chopped fine) and perhaps some zucchini to add the texture that is a bit lacking. However the taste was great! We also did a little math and this lasagna is about $9 cheaper than our old full-meat full-cheese version!

Karen said...

Let me know how your variation turns out! I love the idea of adding to it to give it more texture (which I agree, it is lacking!) And thanks for doing the math. I knew it had to be cheaper but hadn't had a chance to do the math so I love that you guys have an actual number. If you don't mind I'll be using that number when I recommend the recipe to others.