Friday, November 18, 2011

Bean and Veggie Sliders


I found this recipe at Martha Stewart's website. Great alternative for a meat-free sandwich, and I loved that they were sized small enough to fit on rolls.

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups cooked kidney beans
  • 1 cup steamed jasmine or basmati rice
  • 1/2 cup shredded carrot
  • 1/3 cup shredded broccoli
  • 2 tablespoons grated ginger
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1/2 recipe flavor base
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 12 small whole-wheat rolls, split
  • Garnishes: Chili Mayonnaise (see below), lettuce, mango, red onion, and cilantro
  • For the Chili Mayonnaise: Stir together 3/4 cup mayonnaise, 1/2 teaspoon Asian chili paste (such as sambal oelek), and a dash of toasted-sesame oil.
Directions:
  1. Pulse beans in a food processor until mixture resembles ground meat. Pulse in rice. Stir bean mixture in a bowl with carrot, broccoli, ginger, cilantro, and flavor base. Form into twelve 2 1/2-inch round patties (1/4 cup each). Cook in hot oil over medium-high heat until golden, about 3 minutes per side. Sandwich in rolls, adding garnishes.
Notes about this recipe:

1. I used black beans instead (needed to use them up). Still turned out yummy, but I'm looking forward to trying it with the kidney beans next time.
2. I used brown rice.
3. The ginger was REALLY strong, so next time I would do maybe 3/4 Tb.
4. I used mini sandwich thins instead of rolls.
5. I did not try the Chili mayonnaise.
6. Yummy when made fresh but not good as left-overs. If you don't think you will finish off all 12 in one meal then I would 1/2 the recipe.

No comments: