Monday, September 10, 2012

Carrot Coconut Muffins


This recipe is adapted from a fabulous recipe I found in my Taste of Home magazine, originally called Morning Muffins. I was really excited to come across this recipe because at the hospital where I delivered my baby they had some awesome bran muffins that had carrots and coconut in them. I could not get enough of them and was seriously craving some after I came home. This recipe is a close second to those hospital bran muffins.

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 c. butter,softened OR mashed white beans
  • 1/2 c. partially packed brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 c. sour cream or plain yogurt
  • 1 c. shredded carrots (about 2 large carrots)
  • 1/2 c. flaked coconut
  • 1/2 c. raisins 
  • 1 c. whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 c. wheat germ
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
Directions:
  1. Beat together the butter and brown sugar in a mixing bowl. 
  2. Add eggs and sour cream; beat well.
  3. Add the carrots, coconut, and raisins. 
  4. In a separate bowl, mix the flour, wheat germ, baking soda, and cinnamon together. Add to the wet mixture just until moistened.
  5. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups 3/4ths full. 
  6. Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
  7. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Makes 1 dozen.

No comments: