Friday, October 28, 2011

Crispy Quinoa Cakes


I found this recipe at Vegetarian Times. Super super delish. My hubby gave it 2 big thumbs up. The website recommends serving them with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce, although I didn't try it.
Ingredients:
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 Tbs. tahini or nut butter
  • 1 1/2 tsp. red or white wine vinegar
  • 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
  • 1/2 cup finely grated sweet potato
  • 1/2 10-oz. pkg. frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
  • 1/4 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
  • 1/4 cup chopped nuts, optional
  • 2 oz. crumbled feta cheese, optional
  • 2 Tbs. finely diced onion
  • 1 Tbs. chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
  • 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
Directions:

Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray. Combine egg, flour, tahini, and vinegar in bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients, then mash together until mixture is firm enough to shape into cakes. Shape mixture into 1/4-cup patties with wet hands. Bake on prepared baking sheet 25 minutes, turning once, or until cakes are browned.

Notes about this recipe:

1. I used margarine instead of tahini or nut butter.
2. I used water instead of red or white wine vinegar.
3. I only used 1 cup of quinoa because I felt like 1 1/2 was a lot and I wanted the other flavors to stand out.
4. I did not use the cheese or nuts, but I imagine adding both is probably delish.
5. I tried to flip one of them 1/2 way through the cook time, but it just crumbled so I didn't flip the others.
6. I greased my pan before putting the quinoa cakes on it.
7. I believe that the best part of these cakes was the sun dried tomatoes (but that could be because I LOVE sun dried tomatoes). I used some homemade ones with rosemary and other herbs.

I served this up with a veggie and fruit side, along with some wheat bread.

No comments: